Hardware recommendations

Having a technical difficulty? Post here for help or advice.

Moderator: Officers

Re: Hardware recommendations

Postby kilo_17 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Ah, I didn't think to mention, the Radeon 7000 series *seems* to be rumored to be coming out sometime with the next, oh I'd guess anywhere from a couple months to around 4-5 months (not sure about this, haven't read much about it), of course, they're not released yet, but hey, they might be worth waiting for. Also, the new AMD FX CPU's came out not to long ago, although they seemed to be a little bit disappointing, imo. I got the impression the singe-threaded performance wasn't much better than the AM3 CPU's, though. You need a 900-series chipset board (an AM3+ chipset) to run a FX processor though. It's all up to you, the PII 955 probably gets my vote.
kilo_17
Catching On

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Just finished running the Windows 7 compatibility tool and with the exception of some driver issues my hardware is good to go.

I'm waiting for a blank DVD to format so I can put Ubuntu on it. This is in case something bad happens with the Win 7 install, allowing me to gain access to the Internet through Ubuntu.

Then a reformat and install of Windows 7 64 bit. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days send a tech support air strike.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Postby [CS] Joab on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Installed. :jedi:
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 am

Let me know how the re-install of all of your software goes. I bought MSOffice, and with all of the security keys, I shudder to try to reinstall it.

BTW, you may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but are you still on a 32-bit system, or did you install the 64-bit Windows 7?

Also, considering your last two posts were only three hours apart, it must have been a relatively painless upgrade.
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:24 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:Let me know how the re-install of all of your software goes. I bought MSOffice, and with all of the security keys, I shudder to try to reinstall it.

I have Office 2007 but might opt to use OpenOffice instead.

BTW, you may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but are you still on a 32-bit system, or did you install the 64-bit Windows 7?

64 bit. And I added 4GB of Crucial Ballistix to my 2GB of PQI Turbo. It feels good to have an OS that will recognize and use more than 2-3 gigs of RAM.

Also, considering your last two posts were only three hours apart, it must have been a relatively painless upgrade.

For the most part it was. I had screwed up partitioning my hard drive when I installed Vista and wanted to correct it this time. I couldn't re-partition before the install so when it was done I got a freeware partition manager and merged the two into one. That was entirely painless and it formatted the other partition and merged the two in under 2 minutes.
[CS] Joab

Postby Garrett on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for starting this Joab/and those contributing to it - as my PC (actually MB) is now pushing up the daisies. Of course thinking of getting a monster - but most hardware now seems to have a ton of headroom (especially CPU power) - so not sure I need to spend the moolah to get a monster. :P

Thinking of getting something close to the following:
i7 960/980 CPU
Win 7 64-BIT
12 gigs of DDR3 1600 mhz ram
6970 or 7950 card (or GTX 580)
Liquid Cooling
and definitely a good Power Supply - like a Thermaltake 850 or so (in case I want to run Crossfire later)..

May get it form these guys - as I love how you can configure it how you want and their prices are great: CyberPower PC and they seem to have good ratings on resellerratings.com.

Edit: This one's only $939 - but that GigaByte G1.Sniper Motherboard has some pretty bad reviews on Newegg and not crazy about all the gun gadgetry on the MB myself...lol

Could also go back to Gateway (my unit was the FX7026) I guess - but the only issue I had with this unit was it was an OEM specific MB (Intel G33 Schroeder Town) - so I couldn't really get the Bios updates from Intel. (I still did/had to though).

Would love to hear any thoughts you guys may have before I make the plunge though...:D
Garrett
Officially Retired

Postby [CS] Goodytwoshoes on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 pm

I have purchased 4 machines in the past from ibuypower. Ever time I price the parts out separate from tiger or newegg they either beat the price or make it worth ur wild
[CS] Goodytwoshoes
Site Admin

Postby Garrett on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Ok, need to get off my you-know-what and order something (biz been busy lately..lol) but thinking of the following and just curious everyone's thoughts on these. I found it helpful to check each of these against reviews on Newegg (because they're usually very qualified folks reviewing these items) - especially the Motherboards. :wink:

My Config on CyberpowerPC and would love to hear folk's feedback here before I pull the credit card trigger....

Consisting of (with my thoughts below each):

• Case: CoolerMaster Elite 431 Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Just want something with a lot of room & good airflow

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

Was thinking of getting the new I7 3930K (6 Core) chip - but for gaming they said it actually is slower (because of ram latency) and in a lot of tests/reviews - the i7-2700K actually keeps up with it... Good site to view that is the Passmark CPU Benchmarks Site

EDIT: Here's a review (including the new 3820K chip) showing gaming performance between 3930K/3820/2700K Xbitlabs.com CPU comparisons

• Cooling Fan: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

Most reviews I've seen is Asetech makes good cooler systems

• Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Intel Z68 Chipset ATX Mainboard w/ BT GO! Lucid Virtu, Intel SRT, UEFI BIOS & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 4x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen3 PCIe X16, 1 Gen2 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)

This (and power supply) seem to be the most important (as per reviewers) decisions in building a PC & Newegg reviews have been awesome in helping the process. Asus seems to be the most dependable board (from what I've seen) and the expandability and reliability seems to be good on this one. Also, supposedly the UEFI Bios is handy - because it can be loaded through a USB?

EDIT: Newegg.com MB review Link

• Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)

Read 1. Kingston is pretty good brand and 2. that more than 8G of ram (at least for gaming) is pretty much wasted.

• Video Card: NVIDIA ries..GeForce GTX 570 HD 2.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

Was leaning towards a 6900 series card - but the 570's still seem to outrun all of the AMD cards except the 7900 series. Good site to view those is Benchmark GPU Comparisons

• Power Supply Upgrade: * 850 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M Gold Modular 80 Plus Power Supply

Once again - good reviews on this and more than enough power should I SLI/Crossfire later

• Hard Drive: 120 GB Intel 520 Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write

Wanted a SSD for the OS - ever since I forst saw how blistering fast they were & read that 1. Intel's drives are good and 2. their Drivers (over the Marvel controller one's) work much better. Made it big enough to load some games on also - even though from what I've read - only help mostly in boot times (not in game)?

• Data Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+110] (Single Drive)
** Since the MB has 6.0 GB SATA - chose this guy - albeit a huge amount of space...

• Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
• Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
• Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
Garrett
Officially Retired

Previous

Return to Support/Help