June newsletter

Topics related to the Christian Soldiers Newsletter discussed here.

Moderator: Officers

June newsletter

Postby [CS] Joab on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:20 am

No One, that's quite a daily routine you follow. You must be the Spider Man of Iowa. In April I went to my doctor for blood work and, as part of the usual practice, got weighed. Their scales showed me at 225 pounds, which is the most I could remember weighing in my life. It motivated me to do something, and so I've begun exercising and slowly improving my diet. I eat more veggies than I used to, have trimmed portions and exercise almost daily (I usually cut my routine in half one day a week and take a second day off, since my 43-year old body ain't what it used to me). On days when I do exercise I have been walking for at least 60 total minutes. I plan to start adding some weight training soon.

I go back to the doc July 22nd for another round of blood work. I'm hoping my cholesterol will have dropped, along with my uric acid levels (which were high). And I'm refusing to weigh myself until that date. Hopefully I'll find that I've dropped a double digit number of pounds on that date. My goal is to reach 180 pounds, which would be only 7 pounds more than what I weighed when I began with my employer 20 years ago. :mod:
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab
Clan Llama and a Legend in his Own Mind

Re: June newsletter

Postby [CS] No One on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:35 am

Joab - Your situation started out how mine did. Its a good thing to start working on it.

I have a lot of people ask me what the key is and I always tell them the key is aerobic exercise. The second key is eat right. The two kind of go hand in hand but eating right will only get you so far. Eat right and exercise regularly and you have 4 times the chance of acheiving and maintaining your weight and overall health.

The other key for me was my wife is on the same regimen as I am. We eat the same and we exercise together so I keep her going and she keeps me going. So I don't have my wife eating french fries while I eat a salad and that helps a lot.

There are times when I wonder why I keep doing the work outs. All I have to do is look at the original report on the cholesterol and triglycerides and I am remotivated. The other thing I do is look at pictures of myself from before I started my regimin and thats usually pretty motivating.

Congrats on starting your turn around! It takes a little time to start seeing results but keep it up and you will see results!
[CS] No One
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm improving my diet on two fronts. The portion control has been pretty easy really. What I thought was that if I had, for example, one bratwurst instead of two I'd have to eat more of something else to make up the difference, but I've found that I'm content in reducing portions without replacing anything. And I'm reducing the meats, cheese and fatty foods while adding more fruits and veggies. Fortunately I've never had a big sweet tooth and seldom eat sweets, and rarely drink pop so I don't have to worry about that.

What I've reduced and miss the most, however, is beer. :( Too many empty calories.
"A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"There is only one person God has treated worse than He deserved." -- John Piper
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] Scubadvr on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:26 pm

I've met NoOne, and he's in great shape.

[CS] Joab wrote:What I've reduced and miss the most, however, is beer. :( Too many empty calories.

Uh, Oh. Should I abstain from bringing a case of Schlafly's IPA when I come to see you?
Psalm 66:1,2
Ecclesiastes 5:18-19
"Since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." Romans 3:23-24
[CS] Scubadvr
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:47 pm

[CS] Scubadvr wrote:Uh, Oh. Should I abstain from bringing a case of Schlafly's IPA when I come to see you?

Not at all. It will just take me awhile to drink them all.

All beer is empty calories (Bud Select and MGD 64 should not be legally allowed to be called beer as they are merely beer-flavored waters) but what makes it worse for me is that I like good beer, and those beers are even higher in calories.
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] vizwhiz on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Speaking of beer (or is it actually hijacking threads? :lol:) my brother was drinking a "Broken Halo" IPA the other night...either of you had it before? Any good?

On topic, I also was impressed with NoOne's regimen - makes me tired just listening to it!
Just kidding...actually, I've put on about 25 pounds since I got married, which is about 30 pounds more than the 190-ish I used to sit comfortably at with no real struggle. Granted, "fat-and-happy" has great significance here, but I realize that I have also become quite sedentary in my job, sitting behind the desk or steering wheel most of the time. But I've also never been much for rushing to bed and getting up early, which it sounds like will be a must for me if this is going to change. My wife says she likes me with the extra meat on my bones, but I'm not happy grunting to bend over to tie my shoes.

NoOne, what's your sleep/rise schedule like in this regard, and how often do you break your routine to do something like...play computer games or write on the forums? Also, Joab, you work odd hours some - what is your plan for your new regimen regarding that?
Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice! (author unknown)
[CS] vizwhiz
Clan Member

Postby [CS] Joab on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 am

[CS] vizwhiz wrote:Speaking of beer (or is it actually hijacking threads? :lol:) my brother was drinking a "Broken Halo" IPA the other night...either of you had it before? Any good?

Silly CheezWhiz...you should ask for a taste in such cases. I've never heard of it but I'll try any beer at least once.

Also, Joab, you work odd hours some - what is your plan for your new regimen regarding that?

Well, I went to my doctor in March for blood work (I have a condition that makes me prone to high cholesterol). As per every other visit, I was put on the scale. I weighed in at about 225, which disgusted me because I could remember weighing in at 212 on that same scale months earlier. So about the middle of May I started walking. On May 30th we got a family membership to the local YMCA (they were closed the 31st for Memorial Day). Since then I have visited the YMCA 5 times: Once to teach my oldest how to play racquetball and four times to use the elliptical machine in the "Fitness Room". Twice I let the machine dictate my workout by choosing the "Weight Loss" option, which goes for 30 minutes (plus a 5 minute cool down period). Both times I later walked for at least 30 minutes at work. The other two times I've visited the YMCA I toughed out 60 consecutive minutes on the elliptical machine. It ain't easy!

My day today (Monday) went thusly:

1)0920 am: wake up, drink 2 cups of coffee while checking the news, the CS forum and opinions on the previous night's hockey game.

2) Made 2 eggs, scrambled (with some Parmesan cheese for flavor) for breakfast.

3) Went to the Y and put in 60 minutes on the elliptical machine

4) Came home an showered off the grime covering my body

5) Had a lunch consisting of a large salad (red leaf lettuce, Boston lettuce and a fat-free dressing that was surprisingly good) and a small bowl of linguine in a roasted garlic tomato sauce.

6. Went to work.

7. Dinner was a PB&J on whole multi-grain bread (natural PB, with Smuckers "Simply Fruit" strawberry preserves), a serving of Wheatables Toasted Pecan as a side dish, a 1/2 cup of peaches and, later, a Key Lime whipped yogurt for dessert.

Tonight I also took in my pants and duty belts in one full notch. It felt good to do so. Tomorrow my wife and I have a racquetball court reserved from 11am-Noon, and I'll do at least 35 minutes on the elliptical afterward.

I will admit to this: Since becoming more active my energy levels have been boosted. I wake up with more energy and find myself wanting to do...something...during the day and often again in the evenings. I'm a llama on the move. 8-)
[CS] Joab

Postby [CS] No One on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:14 am

Hey Viz here is my normal schedule. The thing to remember is I am kind of an insomiac and have been for my entire life. No clue why its just how I am.

4:20 am Get up (II'm normally awake much before this but I always try to stay in bed until 4:20 am
4:25 am Get my work out clothes on and stretch.
4:30 am Start workout.
5:30 am Usually done with my workout
5:30 am Shower, get changed into my work clothes
5:45 am Breakfast of 2 granola bars and fruit
6:00 am At work
12:00 pm Lunch - usually a plain turkey or chicken sandwich and veggies, glass of plain ol milk
5:00 pm - Head home.
5:15 pm I'm usually running the kids somewhere. I usually try to take the dog for a walk before supper. That walk can range from 1 mile to 3 miles depending on what else is going on and the weather. If I happen to miss my morning work out I usually work out at this time.
6:30 pm - 7:30 Make, eat, and clean up dinner
8:00 pm - 12 am is usually family time and/or game time. If I play DOD or BF2 I usually try to knock off by 10 pm as it takes a while to mellow out after playing.
I usually try to be in bed between 11:30 pm and midnight.

Obviously these fluctuate some depending on my family and their schedule, my personal schedule, and my work schedule.

Thats my normal schedule.
[CS] No One
Clan Officer

Postby [CS] Joab on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:42 am

Doing anything after waking up before having at least one cup of coffee sounds like blasphemy to me.
[CS] Joab

Return to Letter to the Editor